Monday, November 5, 2007

Short Week


So this week I only have to work 2 days. I wish it were for a better reason (you know, like vacation) but the truth is my mom is having pretty serious surgery on Wednesday and since my father is pretty useless when it comes to this stuff I am taking 7-10 days off to stay with her during the day. The doctor does not want her left alone for the first 2 weeks. She'll be pretty drugged up and will need help getting up and walking.
It's a routine surgery, but still, anytime someone goes under anesthesia there could be trouble - and wait until my mom starts to wake up. She does not react well to anesthesia, not at all. It's going to be a long- slow recovery. 6-8 weeks. Hopefully after the first 2 weeks she'll be OK to be alone part of the day.

Even though this is going to interfere with Thanksgiving, Christmas and more importantly MY 40Th BIRTHDAY. I'm glad she is finally having it done. She's been putting off the surgery for over a year and finally her doctor said "enough! You will have this done now!!!

More selfishly this couldn't have come at a better time. I am seriously hating my job right now. So to take a week off even if it is to care for someone who is sick looks pretty good to me. It'll be a lot of sitting at her house - I'm envisioning getting a lot of school work done and that's also a bonus. So since I brought up my job I'm trying to make a big decision here and I'd love your input out there in blog land.

I currently work 4 days a week as an HR Manager at a Metals Manufacturing plant. We were bought last year by a private equity firm. We haven't seen many changes but I think we will start to see them soon as we are not producing or shipping material at a good rate. We can sell it but we can't seem to make it or get it to the customer on time...Right now we have an 86% on time delivery rate. That sucks ASS. Our goal is 99%. We have a guy running out traffic dept. who talks a good game but doesn't get anything done..I hate people like that. Just shut the hell up and do your job. Stop throwing people under the bus and take responsibility for your dept. Jackass.




Anyway - I'm also a full time student. I'm currently writing my thesis which is due on March 1, 2008 and will be presented sometime later that month. It is by far the hardest thing I've ever done. It is taking a ton of time - and I'm not getting the quality of work that I really want due to time constraints. So I started to get stressed out and said to myself "what would I have to do no to work until after graduation".
That sounded fabulous to me so I started to think about it. These are the options I came up with:


1. I can get a student loan in the amount of 10-15k (in addition to my other loans) and quit work and just do my school work. Start looking for a job in Feb in the field of mental health and just go from there.


2. Start looking for another job now while I'm trying to do my thesis and work.

3. Get another HR job until I start Graduate school in 2008. A job that pays better that this one.

4. Just stay put and see how much I get done during my mother's recovery and then go from there.

Of course my brain says take the loan you fool and do your school work. But for once in my life I'm trying to make a logical decision not an emotional one.

Any thoughts??

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all, I wish the best for your mother.

As for the decision, I too would be tempted with #1, but #4 may be the best for now. Wait and see what happens with your mom, then if you need to, go with #1.

Sulpicia said...

Happy 40th.

Best for your mom.

My 40th was spent worrying about MDH's testicular issue, which a few days later saw the removal of one.

Thinking 50 will be GREAT!

Good luck with decision-making!

George said...

Fingers crossed for your mom and you as well because it won't be terribly easy for you.

The obvious and logical choice would be to quickly marry rich or win a lottery. Those aren't on your list so I can't suggest them.

It is a tough one Jenn ... all of your time should be devoted to school work so you can continue with the high level of success you have had. But you have to support yourself, your art so that means working. But, do you want to keep paying off loans until you retire? You don't enjoy your current position but it does offer pretty good flexibility, something that you may not get at many other companies, especially as a brand new employee.

I would stay where I was for now, as long as it was tolerable. With the flexibility you have you could also take a leave of absence while you cram over the last month before the due date. When you have graduated then look for a position in the field you have studied.

Marry rich does seem to be the best solution with an added bonus of benefits

Daisy said...

I'm with #4, but then, I never finish anything anyway! :P

Yes, my best wishes for your mother's recovery, and your peace of mind as caregiver during that time.

Anonymous said...

Door Number 1.
Final Answer.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.