Thursday, November 15, 2007

When I Came Home

I just watched When I Came Home which is a documentary about homeless war veterans. The major story is the Iraq vets but they also speak about Vietnam. It's heartbreaking to watch a man who fought for our country do everything he can just to get a roof over his families head.

The hardest moment of the film is when he looks at the camera and says "I didn't fail my country, my country failed me." Because we did and we are. We are failing these men and women who come home physically and mentally wounded - we leave then to fend for themselves. It's just not right.

Go to the website and buy the DVD - when you do $5 will be donated to one of the groups on the list. It's really the least we can do.

I cried pretty much through the whole thing - I have NO idea how I'm going to get up and do a 45 minute talk on this stuff in March. I doubt I'll be able to keep it together.

Paul Rieckhoff who wrote the book Chasing Ghosts that you see in the side banner was also featured. He is the founder of the largest Iraq/Afghanistan Veteran group in the country. Go to their website and check out what they are doing.

"The one thing that was keeping me motivated was the thought that I was going to come home to everthing."
-PFC Herold Noel
US Army
Iraq War Veteran

No comments: