Saturday, November 3, 2007

Hurricane Winds - So Disappointing

As I was scurrying around my condo last night getting ready for my workshop I get a phone call. "You aren't driving to the cape tomorrow are you?" my good friend Kim asked me. Now Kim is not an overly cautious stay inside kind of person, so if she had concerns I decided I needed to look into them.

I had heard the weather was going to be lousy - remnants of Hurricane Noel and all that rot. But really hadn't given it a second thought. So I called Paul - the guy I was renting a small cottage in Provincetown from - and he agreed that traveling down there was not a good idea. Sea's are predicted to be high and the winds are supposed to be bad. So I shoot an email to the center in Truro and let them know I'm a maybe at best. You never know, sometimes these huge storms go out to sea.

This morning I wake up early and look outside. Definitely foreboding skies - the wind is picking up but it hasn't stopped raining. I wonder if I should just chance it but then remember that I no longer have a place to stay. I'm really torn - I get up make some waffles and sit down to look at the weather. Well - it didn't go out to sea and they are predicting 60-80 mph gusts. OK that makes my decision for me.

So I do what any self-respecting almost 40 year old woman does on a rainy Saturday morning (no,not THAT) - I went back to bed and didn't wake up until 11am. I haven't felt this rested in weeks. It just tells me how tired I really was.

Just to give people who aren't familiar with the area - here is an aerial map of the Cape Cod:

The place I was staying was at the very very end. It's the absolute last town on the Cape and the town where the workshop was is right before that. Here is what the radar is currently showing for the storm.





I'm disappointed to say the least. Hopefully the center will give me a credit but I couldn't find anything on their website that said anything about cancellations. Ah well, we'll just have to wait and see.

Now I have these two unexpected days. No one but Kim even is aware that I am in town. My plan is to work on my thesis - I have a ton due by Veterans Day. So I better get after it.

Tyler & George aren't you glad I didn't pick either of you to come with me?

If you live on the East Coast - stay dry!

Oh yeah....27 more days!

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Another Jennifer from NaBloPoMo stopping by to say, "don't blow away!"

Casdok said...

Yes how disappointing!!!!

George said...

Hmph ... you chickened out on a few raindrops and a bit of a breeze? Hmph ... but I rather liked the idea of staying in bed until 11AM if we couldn't make it to the cape of no return

Julie said...

You made the right decision.
There are still hundreds of people without power on the Cape.

Plus it sounded like your body needed that extra rest... and waffles!