I woke up this morning thinking about my birthday. I suddenly occurred to me that I am going to be 40 years old in seven weeks. I feel like I maybe I should be freaked out by this... but I'm not. Do I wish that I finished up my degree a few years ago so I would be working in a different field right now? Yes. BUT that means I probably would still be in the wrong field. Right in line with that "no coincidences" thing that I completely believe in, Lesley University showed up in my life at the exact right time.
I also woke up thinking about Grad school. Right now I've got three schools I'm applying to. The first one is Sarah Lawrence in New York. They have the only Masters in Health Advocacy in the country. I'm planning on taking a ride up there and seeing what the campus is like. They don't have graduate housing and it sounds like the area is pretty expensive to live in - but they are still on my list. The second choice is Boston University. They have a dual degree program that is a Masters in Social Work and a Masters in Public Health that looks very interesting to me. The program is three years and you get your MSW after two and then continue on and get your MPH. The third one is Lesley but that really is my "safe" school. They say you should have a "reach" school and a "safe" school. I would love to apply to the JFK school of government for their Masters in Public Policy. It's a two year intensive program that makes you live on campus. The prospect of living in Cambridge for two years is very exciting to me. The only problem with this program is that you have to take the GRE's which are the Graduate Record Exams. I don't do well at standardized testing so am not sure how I would do with this. I'm going to take the practice test online and see how I do. If I do OK I may sit for it and give the JRK school a try.
I never in a million years thought I would be in this position where I would be worried about getting "accepted". It's a bit nerve wracking.
Anyone out there with any advice? Who am I kidding I'm just looking for someone to tell me what to do!
7 comments:
Stay as close to na as possible! :)
I don't think anybody can tell you what to do, nor can anybody make a decision for you. You're on your own for that one babe. I think you are right when you say you should have one that you are comfortable with and another that could be thought of as the cream of the crop. Wherever you go and whatever you pursue ... you'll do well.
Go with your gut....
When the time is right the "right college will be there...Go with you're gut...
As to the GRE...Here is what I know from expereince:
1) Invest in either Kaplan or Princeton Review and STUDY your arse off for these tests.
2) They set up the GRE in such a way that your score is "narrowed down" as you progress through the test. Therefore, the first 10 questions of each section are "key" to your overall score. They start you with a base average score of 500 and, depending on whether you get subsequent questions right or wrong, your scores goes up or down and the questions get progressivly harder or easier. After the first 10 questions your score is "set" above or below 500 and you can't change it if you try.
3) Always tell them to "publish" your scores when you're done the test. Even if you're not sure what schools you're going to. Otherwise they delete the entire test and its results and you're out the $200.00 testing fee. (And, if you're like me, you'll then go sit in your car, bawling your eyes out, exhausted, brain fried and feeling REALLY STUPID because of what you just did!)
4) Get lots of sleep the night before.
5) Most importanly, work hard and DON'T SWEAT IT! YOU'RE AN INTELLIGENT WOMAN JEN YOU CAN DO THIS!
Ever have an adaptive exam? They are used in computer coursework a lot. Say it's a sports exam (for lack of any easier example). Question 1 about baseball, you get it right, question 2 about hockey, you get it right as well, question 3 about football and you get that right too. You're on a roll and feeling pretty damn confident. Question 4 about bobsledding history and you get it wrong. Guess what the next question is about. Bobsledding. Get that wrong? Another bobsledding question. Get that wrong and the exam will stop and say that you need to improve your bobsledding knowledge. As a result you will not be able to accumulate enough points to pass the exam.
Bastard machine
Elise - I'm working on it!
George - I know I have to make my own decisions but I have this fantasy that someone will just tell me what to do and I'll go along with it. It's entirely unlikely given my personality. Thanks for the vote of confidence. The best thing about being "blog friends" is no matter where I go to school - you get to come with me. That adaptive exam sounds like a test from hell. Those bastards!
casdok - I probably will, it seems to work best for me.
Janedoepa - See this is what I wanted to avoid. I already have to take the MAT's I don't think I can do both. I don't have a weeked to give up to a study review and I barely have time to do my regular school work - I don't know how I would study for the GRE's. Thanks for all of the advice. If I do decide to take the test all of this will be super handy.
Follow your bliss!!!! :)
Post a Comment