Monday, October 29, 2007

Champions Again

So we did it. We won the World Series again. This is the second time in 4 years. If you aren't from Boston or haven't at some point in time adopted the Red Sox as your team then you simply cannot fathom the heartbreak (unless you are a Cubs fan) that we have endured over the years. That being said - this win doesn't have the feel that 2004 win did - how could it? We weren't breaking a curse, we weren't proving the critics wrong, nor were we trying to exorcise the ghost of Billy Buckner.


I think the Rockies were a good team that were hurt by the 8 day layoff. The Sox had the momentum of just playing a 7 game series that they came back to win after being down 3 games. It's almost impossible to break that kind of momentum no matter who you are.

Now here is where my liberal, social work, democratic tendencies come screaming out. I hate the long panning shots of the dugout showing the losing team trying their best not to cry on national tv. I hate it that someone actually has to lose. Yes - I know it's a game blah blah blah but still - I can't help but feel bad.

Except for the Yankees - I never feel bad for the Yankees.

That brings me to the next thing. A-Rod opted out of his contract. There have been rumors flying around that we might try to sign him. This would be a very bad idea. Red Sox Nation would not accept Mr Rodriquez - not at all. Surprisingly this has little to do with him being a Yankee and more to do with the kind of guy he is. You could bring almost anyone over from the Yankees and I think we'd be fine with it. Hell, I think you could bring Damon back and we'd be fine with it (if not ecstatic) but A-Rod? No way.

Plus he plays third base - that's Mike Lowell's position and we need Mike Lowell (as I've said hundreds of times already).

By the way - there are a lot of happy Jordan's Furniture customers after last night. I think the only people who aren't too happy are the people at the insurance company who agreed to take on this deal.

4 comments:

ADW said...

Hah!

Heartbreak?

You win Superbowls, NBA Championships (OK, not in a while) AND the World Series.

Cleveland SPorts is the wart on my ass.

George said...

Congratulations ... what more to say after that very impressive comeback against the Indians ... It was a foregone conclusion after that.

So does ADW have to wear a red sox shirt for a few days or what?

Anonymous said...

A-Rod in a Sox uniform? NEVER! Never ever be accepted by the Nation or his team. They'd best hurry up and sign Lowell.

Victoria said...

Congrats!