When I went back to school 18 months ago I was having a hard time juggling my job and the load of work. My job is pretty stressful. I'm a single HR person who supports 96-100 people at a manufacturing plant. This means everything from payroll to benefits to employee issues. To add a little spice to it 60 of those guys are Teamsters so that makes it just a little tougher especially around contract time (which is next year). So needless to say I'm pretty busy most days. So, when I started to realized I couldn't do both I started looking around and was going to piece together a couple of part time jobs, bite the bullet and pay for COBRA (health insurance) in order to give myself more study time. At that time I really didn't want to leave my job I had a great boss (the CFO) and we worked really well together. I hadn't had that much fun at a job in a long time. But my degree was important so I thought I needed to do it. He however thought differently an came up with a brilliant idea of us getting a payroll person and me working three days a week. Well we couldn't find a payroll person but I went down to three days. In the meantime our company was up for sale so the amount of work coming through my little one person HR Dept was pretty significant - so I went up to 4 days. I was working Mon-Thurs and getting paid for 4.5 days because on Friday's I would take phone calls and check my email. It's been a great year and half with this schedule. When the school workload wasn't too over the top I would meet friends for lunch - head out of town or just relax. Sometimes I even did some school work.
Well, yesterday I sat down with the President of our company who is my interm boss (my CFO left in January before the sale was over) and told him that I thought it was time I came back 5 days. There are a lot of little things that are slipping through the cracks. This is my last semester of school and I've got the workload thing pretty figured out (I hope). Luckily they are very flexible with me and let me take the time I need. So if I need a day here and there I know its not a big deal.
It was fun while it lasted!
No comments:
Post a Comment