Ok so a couple of my friends (you know who you are) have been bugging me about updating my blog - so here I am. I am going to be better at updating - I promise. So my two faithful readers here you go.
I'm in the middle of finals week, it's been crazy. I ended up getting pneumonia which hasn't made finishing anything easy but I refuse to ask for any type of extension dammit! I just want to be done. This semester has been ridiculously stressful. The amount of work we have coupled with our placement which is three days a week make the work completely overwhelming.
My placement is at a hospital that has locked psychiatric units. These people are referred to as the "worst of the worst" and "the bottom of the barrel" (these are nursing and mental health worker terms not mine). They are difficult to discharge and almost impossible to place in the community because once they get out of the hospital they stop taking their meds and when that happens all bets are off. Overall though its a great learning experience. I have some interesting patients that I deal with, it's a place that really builds up my skill.
I've been totally stressed out this semester - and now I realize that blogging can probably help that.
Stess #1 - Living In A Dorm- Honestly I'm too old for this shit but it was/is the most cost effective way to do the whole grad school thing. All I can say is I hope I wasn't as annoying as some of the people in this dorm when I was their age. We also have a whole population of people who are majoring in Library Science...do I need to say more? Anyway that being said I have met some great people and have had a lot of fun.
Stess #2:The Amount of Work- Now I am no stranger to hard work, I just spent the last two years working full time and finishing my degree full time. But this is ridiculous. There is absolutely no way you can do this program and have any type of a job. The weekly reading list for each class is HUGE - most Professors will tell you what you have to read to be ready but some want you to read everything. Thank GOD I took two classes this summer or I would really be under water.
Stress #3: Feeling Disconnected- It's strange to hear about other people's lives going on while you feel like you are in a holding pattern. Although I don't miss my condo - I miss living in North Attleboro. I was having a lot of fun there and everyone was close. Even if I didn't have time to see them I knew they were close by.
OK that's enough bitching for now. There are a lot of really cool great things about Grad School too, but that's for tomorrow post.
1 comment:
Great to see you back again.
Your placement sounds interesting. I hope you can enlighten the attitude of some of the staff!
And yes blogging can help with stress!!
Take care x
Post a Comment