Here is the thing - I think Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers are simply the best band ever. Straight ahead rock and roll with no bullshit. Benmont Tench's skill on the keyboards is unmatched in my opinion (and I have a HUGE crush on him) and Mike Campbell's guitar and writing skill make him hard to beat. But then there is Tom. The front man. Great showman and just your average every day weird looking guy with a strange voice. Love Love Love him. The best news is he is playing the Super Bowl this year and my PATRIOTS are there too!!
I have several "favorite" TP songs - so we'll just say these are in the top 10.
The lyrics to this song get me every time....
Look how happy he and Stan (the drummer) look - you'd never be able to tell that in 10-15 years Tom would be kicking him out of the band.
Really bad haircut and wardrobe there Tommy - but I forgive you.
They wouldn't they me embed these and they have to be represented so here are the url's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m7EkhhX8vE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-8qyoVssNQ
There was no good video for Even The Losers - but that would be there too.
This is not necessarily in my top 10 but I love the video and the whole trippy concept.
RIP Howie Epstein
Slinger - is it who you thought it was?
6 comments:
Nope, I had no idea to even think of Tom Petty. My original thought was U2, then realized they debuted in 1980, then i thought maybe the Rolling Stones.
A fan of the older Tom Petty songs, or all of them? I love Tom Petty as well, Full Moon Fever started it when I was younger, and to this day, he still makes great music.
Wildflowers holds a special place for me, as my father and I listened it on our drive back from Colorado in 1995. so now that he is gone, that album reminds me of him.
Hey Slinger - I love all Tom Petty. I can honestly say I'm not a huge fan of the stuff that Jeff Lynne produced (a little too click for me) but I love everything he's pretty much done. Love him - I just bought the Peter Bagdonovich directed documentary but have yet to watch
I like the Beastie Boys bettah!
I know this is a little late to be asking you this question...but why haven't you pursued a career in freakin' music????????????? :)
Kim - I'm just happy you know who the Beastie Boys are!! :-)
Anon - I did work in the music business for years. Concert promotion, artist management, indie label all out of the same office. Insane hours, very little pay - I loved it. There were a lot of things that drove me away from it and most of it was relational/personal. Now the music biz is tanking and I'm happy to sit on the sidelines and watch.
I think my favorite Petty video is "Running Down A Dream".
Plus, can't forget the stuff he did with Traveling Wilburys!
Post a Comment