Thursday, January 10, 2008

63 Pieces


I haven't talked about it much but I am having a show of my art work this month. I hung most of it on New Year's Eve day while I was deathly ill. At that point it was more of a burden than an enjoyable event. I went back today and hung the rest and I have 63 FREAKIN pieces. I can't believe it. I had no idea I had created that much. This show is 99% watercolor which is a new medium for me. There are some oils that are ones I've hung in my house. I'm thinking I'm ready to let go of them now.

Anyway the opening for the show is Saturday from 11-2. It's really nerve wracking to have this even where people come to look at your stuff. Maybe they'll love it and buy it and maybe they'll hate it and won't hesitate to tell you. Who knows? Every single piece is a small sliver of my soul. I know that sounds dramatic - but that's how it really feels. I'm ecstatic when people want to buy them and give them a good home. My last show (which was my first) paid entirely for my trip to California which was very exciting.

It doesn't matter how many pieces I've sold in the past there is a little thrill when someone hands you a check for your work. It's a huge validation especially since I've only been painting for about 5-6 years. Starting something like this "later" in life can be a bit daunting. I'm so lucky because I found the best class. I'm the only abstract artist in the class and at first I could see that they were not getting it but slowly but surely they have all become extremely supportive. They really are a fabulous group. I can't say enough about our teacher Kim. She is just awesome.

Getting ready for the show has been hectic. Getting the framing done has been mucho expensive and I didn't even do it all professionally. I did the bulk of it myself which just means buying frames and mats and putting them all together. On framing alone I have spent around $750. I think they all look great though so it's money well spent. By doing the framing myself it also allows me to keep the prices down to a reasonable level.

I really hope I sell a good amount - I have no idea where I'm going to put things when they don't sell!

Ok wish me luck. I'm off to work on my price sheet.

5 comments:

Kim Morin Weineck said...

YAY! This will really be something, huh? Bravo on your accomplishments even before the opening. Getting everything ready is such a big deal. Very proud! :)

Victoria said...

Wow, this is SO cool, I'm so excited for you!

Casdok said...

The look fab, im sure you will do well!

Anonymous said...

Damn, that is a LOT of work, especially when you are ill.

Good luck and hope you sell bunches!

George said...

Best of luck on moving a lot of them.

I fully understand how expensive framing is ... last Oct I decided to frame something handed down from my grandfather. He was given an MBE by King George of England in the late 1940s. Nobody ever brought it out of the packaging so I framed the signed certificate and medal ... $275 ... but beautifully done.