Friday, August 17, 2007

Radio

My God - when did radio get so bad. Before I go any further let me freely admit that I am a complete music snob. I listen to radio so little that when I do I'm left with this awful taste in my mouth. Even these stations that claim to be "alternative" are just ridiculous. (Yes I am convinced I could do a better job myself)

Listen up people My Chemical Romance and Fall Out Boy are NOT alternative music - in fact I'm not even sure if they are music at all - but if we have to label them I would call them pop music played by boys in makeup. Now I have nothing against boys in makeup mind you but these guys wear it for all the wrong reasons. The right reason would be because it truly is a form of self expression - the wrong reason is because everyone is doing it and you think it looks cool (thats you guy from Fall Out Boy).

Weekdays between noon and 1:30 there is a station in Providence that plays what they consider to be a "retro" lunch. I personally think something has to be at least 10-15 years old to be considered retro (in the music world) but these guys think anything that has fallen off their playlist in the last three years counts. I bet if you asked them who Concrete Blonde was or what the name of U2's first and second album were (Boy/October) they would have no clue. Eeeessshhh get a grip.

Now Julie Kramer on 101.7 WFNX out of Boston knows her stuff. Every weekeday at noon she plays what is called the "Leftover Lunch". It is specifically music from the late 70's - 80's and early 90's. It kicks ass and I love it. Unfortunately I live pretty far outside Boston so I can only get it if I'm driving on 128 which is pretty rare since I work during the day like the rest of the world. I was however on 128 today on my way to meet with my professor and I got to listen to it and it rocked.

So the point here is good stuff doesn't get played on the radio - they'll play one cut off of a really good record (usually the worst song) and then it goes away. Then we are stuck with crap like James Blunt or Artic Monkeys. Come on radio people pull your head out of your asses and play the good stuff. I know it exists.

1 comment:

Kim Morin Weineck said...

Even I know the first two U2 albums!