So I found out today that I got accepted at BU School of Social Work. I found out via a phone call from the Dean which is unusual but I'll tell you why I got such personal service.
BU is a huge school - everything about the application process is online. It was a little tough at times to figure out, they had these things called "radio buttons" that I was confused about, but I figured it out. So the only piece of paper that you had to fill in and mail was a signature page. Oh and they had the most expensive application fee of $70.
Per the urging of my advisor I called BU two weeks ago to check on the progress of my "folder" and the woman (or girl) who answered the phone barely could open her mouth to say BU School of Social Work and when I asked her about my folder she said really nonchalontely "Oh yeah we are missing your signature page" You mean the page I sent in 5 WEEKS ago? So I asked her to send me the document again and I printed it out and mailed it to her again.
So imagine my surprise when I got an email from her on Monday saying they were still missing my page and could I resend it. So I picked up the phone and called - got the same barely understandable greeting from the same woman who apparently is the one sending me the emails. When I explain who I am and that I've sent this page twice she says to me "Did you send it in a plain envelope?" Ummmm yes - what do you think I did? Send it via carrier pigeon? She said "Did you put grad admissions on it?" I said No I didn't because I thought this address WAS grad admissions. Oh no she says it's probably upstairs - I could go look for it but I'd have to find someone to watch the desk. I politely asked her if this one page was holding up my folder being reviewed and she said "Oh yes". Nice - so my fucking future is on hold because you can't get someone to watch the desk. You have got to be shitting me.
So I hung up and needless to say I was PISSED. At first I wasn't going to do anything because honestly BU has been a distant 3rd in my choices. But then I started to think about it and realized it was the principal. I remembered an admissions counselor that I had been trading emails with back in Dec/Jan when I was first looking at programs. So I fired off this email to her:
Hello ******
I am not sure if you are the right person to receive this email but I feel I need to let someone know about my disappointing experience with the admissions office at the BU School of Social Work. I applied to the program back on Feb 27, 2008 and at that time sent in my signature form to the address provided. It was 5 weeks later when I called to check on the progress of my folder that I was told that this form had not been received. She resent me the form and I sent it immediately to the 264 Bay State Road address. Today I received another email stating that they haven't received the form.
I have been accepted to both Smith and Simmons and was hoping to hear from BU today or tomorrow because I have to make a decision by Wednesday. Obviously there is no way I will receive a decision in time. Unfortunately I will not be able to consider BU for graduate school due to the fact that my folder hasn't even begun to be reviewed and it's my understanding that they will not review it without the signature page.
I find it surprising and disappointing that the graduate school that has the most complicated application, the most involved essay and the highest application fees treats the application process so casually. I'd like to request a refund on my application fee -although I know it's probably not in your realm to ok a request.
I'm sorry to sound emotional. I was really looking forward to having BU be a part of my graduate school process but it doesn't look like that will happen.
Thank you,
Anyway after an email back full of apologies (but no offer of a refund) she got the Dean on it who personally pulled my file and called me to let me know I was accepted into the program. I do feel a little bad because I probably won't go there but I figured it was important that they knew how they were being represented.
Don't you think?
6 comments:
Well I think you definitely did the right thing. Bitchslapping Jenn!
Ok so I am biased because I am an alumnus of a crosstown rival but BU sucks. I have heard so many awful stories about them effing people over just like this.
Go to SIMMONS!!
Then we can hang!
:)
Didn't I share my suckass experiences with BU with you? I HATE that school ... they are incredibly rude. I don't think you should even consider them as an option. They totally suck.
I say fuck 'em.
Just my .02 worth ... Maria
Ex - Thank you!
Julie - Yeah I am hearing that a lot about BU right now. Arent you moving out of Boston?
Maria - yeah! FUCK EM!!!
I would have done the same thing. Even though it was a distant thrid, it still sucks to be treated like that by some idiot at a desk.
Well, a) Icky, but b) Congrats!!!! :)
Post a Comment