Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Commissions & Bob Dyan

I have a friend named Nancy who absolutely HATES Bob Dylan. It never fails; I think of her everytime I hear him. She does this hysterical impression of him - all nasaly and stuff. It's pretty damn funny. Now me and the other hand- I LOVE Bob. I love his music - his lyrics - his arrangements - his musicianship -all of it. The way he can tell you a story in 4-6 minutes (for the most part). I love it. Add to that the fact that The Band (at that time The Ravens) was his backing band when he went electric at the Newport Folk Festival and you just have literal musical genius. My absolute love and devotion for Robbie Robertson is for another day.

I'm sitting in my condo tonight working on a commission - well its kind of a commission. A family member (who I love dearly) has asked me to paint them something to fit in a certain space in their kitchen. I'm happy to do it, it's just nerve racking. They see something you did and they like it so they want something just like it...but a little different. I've started playing with watercolors and for lack of a better subject I did a few abstract florals. This family member saw one I gave to my mom and loved it. I gave them one and now they want another. Its a strange shape kind of short height wise and long. Doesn't make it easy. Luckily I work pretty fast and I'm going to do a couple and let her pick. And if she doesn't like any of them? I'll just hang them in my show in January and go from there.

My art teacher told me that my florals tend to look like Emil Nolde. I couldn't think of a better compliment.

Night!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Get that link up there, you! http://www.allposters.com/gallery.
asp?aid=2025717430&c=c&search=
27040&GCID=s15100x001&KEYWORD=
Emil+Nolde